(What we should be aware of to avoid getting sick)
The cold weather is something we experience differently depending on what part of the world you are in but one way or the other or whatever season it is, we all experiences the cold weather. We may love the cold weather, hate it or are neutral about it but what we should be aware of is the cold weather can make you sick if you are not careful enough.
When the weather is cold our nasal passages tends to dry out and the mucus (body’s first line of defense against viruses) who normally traps the pathogens that is later digested through the stomachs acid or expelled naturally by the body becomes less effective during the cold weather, that could result on you getting colds or flu. The rhinovirus (virus responsible for the common cold) easily spread inside our bodies at cooler temperatures. The cells in our bodies are usually warm especially in normal temperature weather and once infected the cells often self destruct which stops further contamination and spread of the virus making our immune system stronger wherein in colder temperatures, the blood vessels are constricted that inhibits the transport of white blood cells to infected areas. Other than that cold weather can harden the outer shell of a virus making it stronger and harder to get rid of inside the body. Also, during the cold weather we don’t get too exposed in sunlight making Vitamin D absorption less that can lessen immune’s system defense against viruses.
Having been aware of why the cold weather can affect our immune system, we should also know how we can avoid getting sick or contracting the common cold, cough or flu.
Below are some points you should practice.
- Always wash your hands. This is the most effective way to stop the spread of viruses.
- Keep the objects especially those you use personally and are used with your hands and other parts of your body (cell phones, computer etc.) clean. In public, as much as possible avoid touching unclean objects/things but if necessary clean your hands as soon as possible.
- Practice healthy eating. A good diet boosts the immune system. Try to avoid too much dairy, caffeine, sugar and processed foods that can lower ones immunity once the weather cools down.
- Achieve a good sleeping routine. Your immune system needs to re charge and rest to be able to stay strong to fight of viruses.
- Exercise. Even if feels harder to move during the cold weather, it is important to keep moving.
- Perspire as much as possible. Perspiring can help rid your body of toxins.
- Stay hydrated. Drink as much water as possible.
- Take vitamins like Vitamin C to help boost your immune system
We all experience the cold weather so take note of our tips and be conscious so that you can avoid feeling under the weather on a cold weather.