What exactly is fish oil and why should I even take it? To give you a deeper understanding on how we can benefit from fish oil let us first know what exactly it is. Fish oil is made out of the fatty fish or the oily fish. The tissue of the fish (e.g. mackerel, tuna, salmon, sardines) is what fish oil is made out of. The fish oil has two main ingredients namely DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) these ingredients are also types of Omega-3 fatty Acids. The benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids are numerous examples of which are it helps keep our hearts healthy, it normalizes cholesterol levels and it affects a child’s learning behavior.
Your body doesn’t make omega-3s. To get the amount you need, you have to eat foods that have omega-3s or take supplements. Besides fatty fish, omega-3s are found in some nut oils (walnuts) and vegetable oils, such as canola, flaxseed and linseed, olive, and soybean. Although you might get some flak from vegetarians and vegans, the best sources of omega-3s are animal-based. Food sources include omega-3 enriched egg yolks, fatty fish, krill oil, and grass-fed beef.
It is recommended to eat fish rather than taking supplements. When that’s not possible, look for high-quality fish oils that offer concentrated sources of omega-3s per capsule. Normally, taking 1 capsule per day is enough but for others especially athletes they take at least 2. Either way there are many options and many stores that have different varieties of fish oil mostly it differs from your needs, so take time to look around, ask questions and try until you find what’s best suited for you. When it comes to your health it is important to that you listen to what your body really needs.
Below are some of the many benefits of Fish Oil.
- Reduces the risk of contracting heart disease and lowers or normalizes cholesterol levels.
- Taking fish oil can help with shedding those unwanted fats. Exercise and Fish Oil are a perfect combination, by taking fish oil regularly, people tend to be more energized to workout and they feel stronger thus helping in the process of losing weight.
- Fish oil also, strengthens the bones and muscles and because of this a person increases his/her muscle strength and physical performance. It also reduces or fastens the healing process of muscle soreness and body aches.
- Regular intake of fish oil improves and boosts ones immunity making you more resistant to common sickness such us common colds.
- It can help relieve the feelings of depression, sadness, anxiety, stress and nervous disorders.
- For women, it helps reduce cramps and period pains.
- Fish oil also affects our skin. Regular intake makes our skin glowing and healthy. It can also help treat other skin problems such as acne, eczema, skin rashes and lesions.
- Taking fish oil is safe for pregnant women. In fact, it is recommended since it lessens the chances or premature births, low birth weight and miscarriages.
- The Omega-3 in fish oil gives the hair a good luster because of its properties that nourishes the hair follicles.
- It can significantly reduce the signs of aging.
With the ten listed above, it should be more than enough to convince us that taking fish oil is beneficial although there are many more unexplained advantages of what fish oil can do for us it never too late to try and start taking it. Start now and enjoy the long-term effects.