Exfoliating is a means to remove ones dead skin cells on the skin’s outermost layer.
Once in awhile our skin needs to be cleaned thoroughly, and daily bathing is not enough to remove dead skin and revitalize the largest organ of our body. Many may brush exfoliating off as something that is not necessary but is done only because of vanity. But did you know that everyone should exfoliate and it is something you should do to keep our skin healthy?
Exfoliating is a means to remove ones dead skin cells on the skin’s outermost layer.Treatments like facials and peels at spas are also a means to exfoliate. Exfoliation can be done through mechanical or chemical ways, although exfoliation can also be done at home. In general, people can exfoliate once or twice a week but keep in mind that there are different skin types, if you have sensitive or delicate skin you could opt to exfoliate once a week or twice in a month, the products you use to exfoliate should also be considered depending on your skin type. Others who have oily skin or lives in a tropical place, exfoliating more should be done, but be cautious exfoliating should not be overdone. Some may use scrubbing products that may cause our skin to be irritated, do not use cleansers or exfoliating tools near your eyes and in sensitive areas, always be cautious and always scrub with care.
Now that you know that exfoliating is naturally good for your skin, let us study on the proper ways to exfoliate. Exfoliating can be done by using supplies such as an exfoliating cleanser, loofah or body brush, exfoliating gloves or pumice stone and some body lotion. For the products, cleansers that contains sea salt or sugar are the best ones to use. After exfoliating products containing hydrating, soothing and nourishing properties are highly recommended.
How to properly exfoliate
- Before taking a bath, prepare your skin by brushing it with the supply of your choice.
- Rinse your face and whole body (Reminder: If you have been recently sunburned or has cuts, wounds or burns, do not exfoliate, wait for your skin to heal)
- For your feet you may use a pumice stone for the rough spots and calluses.
- Use your cleanser together with your loofah or gloves and scrub your body in a circular motion. Use a different set of tools and products for exfoliating your face.
- Exfoliate your hands and hard to reach areas as well. There are different tools you can buy specifically designed for those areas.
- Start rinsing your body with lukewarm water and end with cold.
- After drying off, use your choice of moisturizer or lotion.
Both men and women should practice proper exfoliation, it is not just to beautify, it is a way to make our skin look, feel and actually be healthy. Don’t feel embarrassed to admit that you exfoliate, better yet encourage those who are not knowledgeable and make your skin and that of people around you look their best.